No, they’re not orange blueberries…

Late horse gentian (Triosteum perfoliatum). The Nature Conservancy’s Rulo Bluffs Preserve – southeastern corner of Nebraska.

Also known as wild coffee because its fruits can be used as a substitute for coffee, late horse gentian’s orange fruits stand out in autumn woodlands.  I found a small group of these plants on the edge between prairie and woodland at our Rulo Bluffs Preserve a couple weeks ago.  They were pretty hard to miss – I saw them from about 20 yards away as I came up out of a deep wooded draw.  I was hoping to get some photos of the prairies before the sun went behind the nearby bluffs, but I couldn’t resist pausing a few moments to photograph this unique plant.

This entry was posted in Prairie Natural History, Prairie Photography, Prairie Plants and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Photo of the Week – November 23, 2012

1. bob mills says:

looks good enough to eat , I have some useless info on your study of flies, The house fly hums in the middle octive key of F, I know I know its crazy.

2. Brodie says:

Nice fall photos, Chris. I would love to visit this Rulo preserve on my next visit to home farm in Richardson County. How does one locate it? –Excuse me, now I have to go find a housefly to listen to.

3. Carol Salerno says:

I think the horse gentian is beautiful…the color of a great sunset! I’ve been searching for bittersweet. Have some growing up an elm tree in my pasture. But it NEVER seems to come back to the same place twice. How do I cultivate this plant to always have it around?
    I heard you speak at Science Cafe and have been following you ever since!

Hi Carol – great to have you on board! I like bittersweet too. I don’t know anything about cultivating the wild plants, but we tried to get it started in our yard by buying some from a nursery. We got both genders, but haven’t seen any flowers yet. Apparently, I’m not the right person to ask for help on this one! If you do buy it, be careful not to buy the invasive one (oriental bittersweet). Good luck!

4. James McGee says:

We have Triosteums in the Chicago area. I also saw them on the South face of the Mohawk Valley when I lived in upstate New York. I mentioned this species as a possibility to Stephen for his Spring Creek restoration. He did not think it was a priority at the time. Maybe Stephen will see you post and reconsider. He does love things that grow in oak savannahs.

James

• James C. Trager says:

I agree, James M., that this genus does indeed have a place in an oak savanna restoration. It goes rather unnoticed in summer, but becomes noticeable in every oak woodland/savanna I can think of because of its “little oranges” in fall.

And yeah, like, Brodie, I want to make it to Rulo Bluffs, next time I’m up that way.

James T.

• James McGee says:

Now that I think more about it … maybe the reason Stephen did not think collecting seed of this plant was a priority was because he already had lots at Somme Prairie Grove. He was probably saying it wasn’t a priority for me to collect because he already collects plenty of Triosteum seed.

5. Alyssa A. Nyberg says:

Coming out of a deep draw… sounds very powerful and romantic, but what’s a draw?

Sorry – it’s a kind of valley, but usually fairly steep and narrow. “A wooded draw” is a term used to describe a wooded area between two grassy hills. In this case, it was a draw between two ridges that were mostly wooded.