This photo reminds me of something, but I can’t figure out what it is.  Help?

Melting snow around the base of prairie grass.

Melting snow around the base of prairie grass.

The photo shows melting snow crystals around the edge of some prairie grass.  You can’t see the grass because I focused in very closely on the snow crystals, with shadows in the background for contrast.

The “character” on the left is very familiar somehow…

This entry was posted in General, Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Photo of the Week – February 21, 2013

1. Smedra, Bev - NRCS-CD, Ord, NE says:

Looks like “Sid” the Sloth from the Ice Age Movie!!

2. Pat Halderman says:

It looks like Cindy Loo, from the Grinch Stole Christmas to me. And it is beautiful!

3. savannagal says:

Kind of reminds me of a cartoon monk with a tuft of hair at the back of this head, his hands clutched together in front of him, wearing a long robe. He does have a really long nose, but I think that’s part of what makes him look cartoonish.

4. Becky says:

A Dr. Seuss character perhaps???

5. Eric says:

looks like Sid the sloth from “Ice Age”……

6. kjsgarden says:

I see Kokopelli, the Native American mythical figure.

7. Jon says:

It sort of reminds me of Disney’s “The Little Mermaid”, when Ursula transformed people/merpeople into little piles of animated goo. I don’t remember more of the story than that though…

8. Alexis J says:

I see an old woman with a massive nose, hands clasped together at her chest…

9. Ron says:

No, it’s Annikan Skywalker’s employer in Star Wars. You know, the guy who lost Annikan in a pod race wager.

10. Cody says:

Too funny. The first thing that comes to mind (and I suppose it dates me) is from Looney Tunes, the “henchmen” of Marvin the Martian. They were those green, bird-like creatures.

11. timupham says:

Do any seeds of wild prairie grasses have to be frozen first, before they sprout? The seeds of the Giant sequoia have to be frozen first, before they sprout. I am finding out, how common this is for Northern Hemisphere plants.

Tim, many prairie species germinate better after being cold-stratified. I’m sure there are resources that can give you lists, but I’m not coming up with one off the top of my head.

• timupham says:

“The Prairie Nursery” divided seeds up into both moist stratification and dry stratification. Only a minority of seeds require moist stratification from anywhere from 10 to 30 days. They include Junegrasses, prairie dropseeds, and asters. The International Crane Foundation recreated a tallgrass prairie in Baraboo, Wisconsin. It is used for public education purposes. But they re-established a population of whooping cranes at Necedah National Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin. The first population of whooping cranes, east of the Mississippi River in 100 years. The population is at 105, and were all taught by ultra-light aircraft to migrate to Florida. All cranes are long-range migratory birds. But the inter-connection of the prairie ecosystem is vital to know, especially in recreating habitat and wildlife populations.

• dawnraschel says:

Very nice. :). I have been watching crane migration for a couple of years now. I appreciate your link of fauna to flora. I am studying invasive species and ecosystem function as a graduate student and hopefully as a career … we need to spread the concept of connectivity. :) Chris commented a week or so ago about a three minute presentation he conducted. I liked his presentation (I have done a lot myself) Oddly, I have listened to several Nature Conservancy presenters and one of them actually said we need to decrease our biologist staff and concentrate on food production instead of land conservation. So glad I found Chris’ uplifting and enlightening blog and conversation with so many caring people. :). Again nice job Tim.

12. SteveJ says:

I agree with Eric – looks like Sid the sloth from “Ice Age”……
    Beautiful picture.

13. Sara says:

I think it looks like Ed, from Ed, Edd N Eddy

14. Teresa Lombard - Lincoln Nebraska says:

Gonzo – from the Muppets! Or – do I get two guesses? The pre-chipmunk creature in the animated short that goes before the Ice Age movie?

15. Randall Hernan says:

A Seahorse!

16. Jim Fiedler, Rome, IN says:

A skinny elephant climbing a mountain! 5 toes on its foot of course!

17. Karen Hamburger says:

Bart Simpson

18. Whoever it looks like, she or he looks peaceful.

19. Melissa says: