Following the backyard prairie theme from earlier this week, here is a photo I took yesterday in my prairie garden.  I had been looking through my files of recent images, and didn’t see anything I was excited about posting as a Photo of the Week.  The light outside was pretty nice for closeup photography (bright overcast), so I grabbed my camera and went to have a look around the garden.  About 5 minutes later, I had my image.

Sideoats grama seeds.  Helzer Prairie Garden - Aurora, Nebraska.

Sideoats grama seeds. Helzer Prairie Garden – Aurora, Nebraska.

Don’t you love prairie gardens?

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Natural History, Prairie Photography, Prairie Plants, Prairie Restoration/Reconstruction and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Photo of the Week – October 31, 2013

1. Cate Gross says:

Chris, How large is your back yard prairie garden?

2. Joanne says:

Yes, indeed I do love prairie gardens !

3. James McGee says:

Hi Chris, If you are interested in suggestions you could post a photo of some prairie grasses in orange-yellow fall color?
    Sincerely,
    James

• James McGee says:

Some plants that have nice autumn color are Sporobolus heterolepis, Solidago speciosa, and Rosa carolina.
      Sincerely,
      James

4. Becky says:

Big LIKE! In my prairie garden there is Sideoats, Switch, Indian, Big Muhly, and more. Love the fall and the color change of prairie grasses.

5. Jacob says:

Quite a lot of plants grow in that region.