Random Caterpillar Photo

For no particular reason, here is a picture of a caterpillar:

This photo was taken just after the sun went down at Griffith Prairie - owned and managed by Prairie Plains Resource Institute.  North of Aurora, Nebraska.  June 27, 2006.

This photo was taken just after sunset at Griffith Prairie – owned and managed by Prairie Plains Resource Institute. North of Aurora, Nebraska. June 27, 2006.

I was looking through some old photos and stumbled upon this one.  I’d forgotten how much I liked it, and thought I’d share it with you.

Among other things, I like the “flyaway hair” of this caterpillar.  I hope it brightens your day..

This entry was posted in Prairie Insects, Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Random Caterpillar Photo

1. Stunning photograph!

2. Lynn Bills says:

Chris,
    This is one of my favorite images of yours.

Mine too, Lynn. Usually, I like my more recent photos better than old ones, but this is one bucks that trend. I guess that might be a good indication of its quality! This was taken not too long after I got my first digital SLR back in 2006…

3. Michael Roberts says:

Most everything you share Chris “brightens my day.” Thank you for the consistent, diligent look into another world and another perspective.

4. David Ellis says:

Thank you Chris. Your “eye” for beauty is a blessing. I like the photo too.

5. Tom Prunier says:

The hairs remind me of the starling that grabbed a gypsy moth caterpillar and scrubbed it in the roadside gravel to break the spines before eating it. Great photo!

6. Danny Staehr says:

Any guess on the ID of this caterpillar?

Danny – not sure. Maybe salt marsh caterpillar (Estigmene acrea) but I’m just guessing. I’ve got another photo of it that shows the back (top?) but it doesn’t help ME with ID.

7. Pat Halderman says:

A great way to start the day with a smile at the beautiful caterpillar! His or her hair looks like mine today!

8. thompsonxyz says:

Yes, Chris, it brightens my day — as usual. I love to be reminded of all interests in prairies. And this weekend I’ll attend the Day of Insects at Reiman Garden at Iowa State University. I learned about DOI several years ago while attending a prairie meeting. So much to learn about non-plant items about prairies.

9. elfinelvin says:

Love it! Kind of like what I see in the mirror first thing in the morning.

10. Bob Stine says:

Who knew? Caterpillars have halos!

What a fantastic picture.

11. Kim says:

Nice job focusing right on his (her?) face! This would be quite scary if we didn’t know that he is very small.

12. Judith Deaton says:

Every hair in place!

13. Tom Dupin says:

Great pic, as usual. Any info on species?

14. Pingback: Random Caterpillar Photo | Gaia Gazette

15. James C. Trager says:

People pay a lot of money to get their hair arranged like that.

16. Pingback: Caterpillar, again | The Mellow Moko