I was back up at the Niobrara Valley Preserve last weekend.  The weather was beautiful, and so were the sandhills.  A few of us went exploring in the late evening, but the sun was hiding behind clouds, so photography wasn’t much of an option.  However, after we got back to headquarters, I glanced up and noticed the entire sky had turned almost blood red!  I grabbed my camera and the closest vehicle and raced up to my favorite vantage point.

The color was already starting fade a little by the time I arrived, so I quickly popped my wide angle lens on and looked around for some foreground to put in front of that sky.  I found a spot, set up the tripod and  ….the camera wouldn’t work.  Ack!!  It took me a few frantic moments to figure out that the lens hadn’t mounted correctly, and a few more to get it off and back on the right way.  By that time, much of the color had left the sky, but there was still enough to squeeze off about three photographs before it disappeared completely.

Here’s one of those three photographs…

Sunset over the Niobrara River.  The Nature Conservancy's Niobrara Valley Preserve.

Fading sunset over the Niobrara River. The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve.

Have a great Fourth of July!

This entry was posted in Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Photo of the Week – July 3, 2014

1. Marnelle Curtis says:

Gorgeous photo of the red sunset! Thanks for all of your wonderful photos and informative postings Chris.

2. Still a very beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing with us.

3. Eliza says:

STUNNING I adore that place

4. elfinelvin says:

Why would you ask for more? Happy Fourth!

5. Tracey Nelson says:

Thank you for capturing that! Very beautiful sunsets we have here at the preserve!

6. Nice shot! I can relate to your missteps, particularly when I’m in a hurry.

7. Becky says:

It was worth the oopsies happening. Beautiful!

8. Ernest Ochsner says:

Sometimes less is more, very beautiful Chris

9. anastaciast says:

I have nightmares like that. Seriously. In fact, right now my camera has gone on walkabout. I hope it comes back soon.

10. Karen Hamburger says:

Love the pink and lavender on the water

11. Joyce Coppinger says:

> Perhaps the image you did capture is more dramatic and pleasing to the eye > than one flooded with only red. > J > > Chris Helzer posted: “I was back up at the Niobrara Valley Preserve last > weekend.  The weather was beautiful, and so were the sandhills.  A few of us > went exploring in the late evening, but the sun was hiding behind clouds, so > photography wasn’t much of an option.  However, af” >

12. C. Kay Peters says:

Thanks for the wonderful sunset photo of the Niobrara River and valley. It brings back good memories of hours spent on the river and days on the land. Kay Peters

13. I think your delay in capturing the sky was a blessing in disguise. The sunset is minimalistic yet so powerful with a delightful reflection on the river and perfect tree silhouettes. I always find the best pictures come on their own accord despite other environmental delays and mishaps. Well done!

14. James C. Trager says:

Definitely one of those “I want to be there” photos!

15. Pingback: Photo of the Week – July 10, 2014 | The Prairie Ecologist