Search this Blog
- Photo of the Week – February 11, 2016
- Save the Date – Grassland Restoration Network in Nebraska September 13-14, 2016
- Prairie Blizzard Survival
- Photo of the Week – February 5, 2016
- Plant a Prairie February 13!
- Boys and Sticks
- Hubbard Fellowship – How would you like to help?
- Photo of the Week – January 27, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – The Myth of the White Buffalo Calf Woman
- Photo of the Week – January 22, 2016
- Prairie Word of the Day – Habitat Heterogeneity
- Photo of the Week – January 15, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – LeConte’s Bonanza
- An Aquatic Stick Insect
- Photo of the Week – January 7, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog: Ant Swarm (and Lunch)
- My Long Irrational Nightmare is Over. Sort of. Nevermind.
- Photo of the Week – December 31, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – What Does the Fox Eat?
- Favorite Photos of 2015
Tag Archives: close up
One of my favorite winter photography subjects is the kind of “window” created by melting snow around prairie plants. When the sun is shining, dried plants often warm up enough to melt the snow around them a little faster than … Continue reading
Earlier this week, we had a foggy and frosty day. When the clouds finally started to thin, I popped across town to Lincoln Creek Prairie to see if I could get some photographs of the frost. Here are a few … Continue reading
Recently, we’ve been seeing some very pretty sunrises and sunsets (and moon rises, for that matter) because of a thin veil of smoke in the sky from the western U.S. wildfires. That diffused light makes pretty good opportunities for photos, … Continue reading
Snow! The long range forecast last fall called for a wet winter, but we’ve had very little snow so far. This week, we finally got a couple good snow storms (and two days of cancelled school). However, the high temperatures … Continue reading
Earlier this week, I wrote about interesting holes in the bark of burned ponderosa pine trees at our Niobrara Valley Preserve. However, I wasn’t actually focused on documenting holes in trees at the time – I was just looking for … Continue reading
As we near the end of another year, I’ve put together a collection of my favorite images from 2014. I hope you enjoy them. Though I traveled to prairies in several other states this year, all of my favorite images … Continue reading
I made another trip up to Griffith Prairie last week. It looked pretty much as it had the week before – still lots of ragwort blooming – but the photographs I returned with were very different. This time, I came … Continue reading
Monday morning was cold here. If I remember correctly, it was about 4 degrees below zero when I decided to go for a walk with my camera. (Because, hey, what else would you do on a morning like that?) There … Continue reading
I found this robber fly perched in the prairie early Monday morning. Although it was fairly breezy, the light was good enough to attempt a photo. I’m glad I decided to give it a try. Ten years ago, I wouldn’t have … Continue reading