Search this Blog
- Prairie Blizzard Survival
- Photo of the Week – February 5, 2016
- Plant a Prairie February 13!
- Boys and Sticks
- Hubbard Fellowship – How would you like to help?
- Photo of the Week – January 27, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – The Myth of the White Buffalo Calf Woman
- Photo of the Week – January 22, 2016
- Prairie Word of the Day – Habitat Heterogeneity
- Photo of the Week – January 15, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – LeConte’s Bonanza
- An Aquatic Stick Insect
- Photo of the Week – January 7, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog: Ant Swarm (and Lunch)
- My Long Irrational Nightmare is Over. Sort of. Nevermind.
- Photo of the Week – December 31, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – What Does the Fox Eat?
- Favorite Photos of 2015
- Photo of the Week – December 17, 2015
- Prairie Word of the Day – Disturbance
Tag Archives: niobrara river
While my wife Kim and I were at the Niobrara Valley Preserve for several days in December, we spotted a small creature neither of us had seen before. We were walking along the edge of the river (hoping to see … Continue reading
I drove up to the Niobrara Valley Preserve this week and arrived in time for a long hike before dark on Monday evening. It was the kind of opportunity to wander and think that is critically important (but unfortunately rare) … Continue reading
I have a pretty great job. I love my work for many reasons, but a big one is the freedom I have to take photographs when opportunities present themselves. Photography is an important part of conservation work, and my photos … Continue reading
When I was at the Niobrara Valley Preserve a couple weeks ago, I spent some time exploring the area north of the river where the 2012 wildfire ripped through oak savanna and ponderosa pine woodland. As discussed in earlier posts, … Continue reading
I’m writing this from The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve in north-central Nebraska, where I’m attending a prescribed fire planning workshop. The weather up here is beautiful, and the prairies are already wearing their autumn colors. The most conspicuous color … Continue reading
I was back up at the Niobrara Valley Preserve last weekend. The weather was beautiful, and so were the sandhills. A few of us went exploring in the late evening, but the sun was hiding behind clouds, so photography wasn’t … Continue reading
I got up early last Saturday morning, hoping to capture some photographs of the Niobrara Valley Preserve in the light of the sunrise. Unfortunately, the skies were cloudy, and the sun stayed stubbornly behind them as it rose above the … Continue reading
Last weekend, I helped with an event up at our Niobrara Valley Preserve. Neighbors and members of The Nature Conservancy were invited to visit the Preserve, enjoy some home-grown bison burgers, and tour some of the 56,000 acre property. I got … Continue reading
I’m putting together a collection of my favorite photos from 2013 for a “best photos of the year” post similar to the one I did last year about this time. It’s been a tough task, especially when there are two … Continue reading