Search this Blog
- How big do prairies need to be?
- Photo of the Week – October 1, 2015
- Follow Up: Windmill and Bales Photo
- Photo of the Week – September 24, 2015
- How did everything work this year?
- Photo of the Week – September 18, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship – When is a Gopher not a Gopher?
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – Mummy Wasp!
- Photo of the Week – September 10, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – Up and Down the River
- Photo of the Week – September 3, 2015
- Antlion Timelapse
- Photo of the Week – August 27, 2015
- Saving Pollinators One Thistle at a Time
- The Gluttonous Crab Spider
- Photo of the Week – August 21, 2015
- Killer Thistles
- Photo of the Week – August 13, 2015
- August 21 Field Day – Agenda
- Double flowered sunflowers
Tag Archives: niobrara river
When I was at the Niobrara Valley Preserve a couple weeks ago, I spent some time exploring the area north of the river where the 2012 wildfire ripped through oak savanna and ponderosa pine woodland. As discussed in earlier posts, … Continue reading
I’m writing this from The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve in north-central Nebraska, where I’m attending a prescribed fire planning workshop. The weather up here is beautiful, and the prairies are already wearing their autumn colors. The most conspicuous color … Continue reading
I was back up at the Niobrara Valley Preserve last weekend. The weather was beautiful, and so were the sandhills. A few of us went exploring in the late evening, but the sun was hiding behind clouds, so photography wasn’t … Continue reading
I got up early last Saturday morning, hoping to capture some photographs of the Niobrara Valley Preserve in the light of the sunrise. Unfortunately, the skies were cloudy, and the sun stayed stubbornly behind them as it rose above the … Continue reading
Last weekend, I helped with an event up at our Niobrara Valley Preserve. Neighbors and members of The Nature Conservancy were invited to visit the Preserve, enjoy some home-grown bison burgers, and tour some of the 56,000 acre property. I got … Continue reading
I’m putting together a collection of my favorite photos from 2013 for a “best photos of the year” post similar to the one I did last year about this time. It’s been a tough task, especially when there are two … Continue reading
I took my two sons up to the Niobrara Valley Preserve earlier this week for one last outing before school started. It was fun to see the Preserve through their eyes. While I was looking at impacts from last year’s fire and … Continue reading
While we were setting up timelapse cameras at the Niobrara Valley Preserve a couple weeks ago, I had an encounter with a creature I’d never seen up close before. It was evening, and Jeff Dale was driving us down toward … Continue reading
Last week, I posted that I’d been up at our Niobrara Valley Preserve, helping to set up timelapse cameras to document the recovery of that site from the wildfire last July. Back in February, photographer Michael Forsberg, Jeff Dale, Rich Walters, … Continue reading