Search this Blog
- Photo of the Week – January 29, 2015
- A Travel Week Plant Quiz
- Photo of the Week – January 23, 2015
- Ruminations on Tree Planting and Prairie Conservation
- Photo of the Week – January 15, 2015
- DON’T PANIC! It’s just a crane fly.
- A Hole New Mystery to Consider
- Photo of the Week – January 8, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – Jasmine and Tractors
- Photo of the Week – December 31, 2014
- Photo of the Week – December 26, 2014
- Survival of the Fittest?
- Photo of the Week – December 19, 2014
- Favorite Photos From 2014
- Contrasting Approaches to Prairie Management: Leopold, Land Health and Cabbages.
- Photo of the Week – December 11, 2014
- What I Look For When I Walk Through My Prairies
- Photo of the Week – December 4, 2014
- 2015-2016 Hubbard Fellowship – Apply Now!
- Wanna Know What Really Makes A Sunflower Lose its Head?
Tag Archives: niobrara river
When I was at the Niobrara Valley Preserve a couple weeks ago, I spent some time exploring the area north of the river where the 2012 wildfire ripped through oak savanna and ponderosa pine woodland. As discussed in earlier posts, … Continue reading
I’m writing this from The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve in north-central Nebraska, where I’m attending a prescribed fire planning workshop. The weather up here is beautiful, and the prairies are already wearing their autumn colors. The most conspicuous color … Continue reading
I was back up at the Niobrara Valley Preserve last weekend. The weather was beautiful, and so were the sandhills. A few of us went exploring in the late evening, but the sun was hiding behind clouds, so photography wasn’t … Continue reading
I got up early last Saturday morning, hoping to capture some photographs of the Niobrara Valley Preserve in the light of the sunrise. Unfortunately, the skies were cloudy, and the sun stayed stubbornly behind them as it rose above the … Continue reading
Last weekend, I helped with an event up at our Niobrara Valley Preserve. Neighbors and members of The Nature Conservancy were invited to visit the Preserve, enjoy some home-grown bison burgers, and tour some of the 56,000 acre property. I got … Continue reading
I’m putting together a collection of my favorite photos from 2013 for a “best photos of the year” post similar to the one I did last year about this time. It’s been a tough task, especially when there are two … Continue reading
I took my two sons up to the Niobrara Valley Preserve earlier this week for one last outing before school started. It was fun to see the Preserve through their eyes. While I was looking at impacts from last year’s fire and … Continue reading
While we were setting up timelapse cameras at the Niobrara Valley Preserve a couple weeks ago, I had an encounter with a creature I’d never seen up close before. It was evening, and Jeff Dale was driving us down toward … Continue reading
Last week, I posted that I’d been up at our Niobrara Valley Preserve, helping to set up timelapse cameras to document the recovery of that site from the wildfire last July. Back in February, photographer Michael Forsberg, Jeff Dale, Rich Walters, … Continue reading