Search this Blog
- Prairie Blizzard Survival
- Photo of the Week – February 5, 2016
- Plant a Prairie February 13!
- Boys and Sticks
- Hubbard Fellowship – How would you like to help?
- Photo of the Week – January 27, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – The Myth of the White Buffalo Calf Woman
- Photo of the Week – January 22, 2016
- Prairie Word of the Day – Habitat Heterogeneity
- Photo of the Week – January 15, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – LeConte’s Bonanza
- An Aquatic Stick Insect
- Photo of the Week – January 7, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog: Ant Swarm (and Lunch)
- My Long Irrational Nightmare is Over. Sort of. Nevermind.
- Photo of the Week – December 31, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – What Does the Fox Eat?
- Favorite Photos of 2015
- Photo of the Week – December 17, 2015
- Prairie Word of the Day – Disturbance
Tag Archives: prairie
Last week’s blizzard dumped about a foot of snow here in town, and about 18 inches out at our Platte River Prairies. Combined with wind gusts of 40-50 miles per hour, it was quite a weather event. Our school was … Continue reading
My wife and I are both biologists. She’s a high school biology teacher and I’m a prairie ecologist. You won’t be surprised that we think it’s important for our kids to get outside and explore nature. However, we don’t often … Continue reading
One of my favorite winter photography subjects is the kind of “window” created by melting snow around prairie plants. When the sun is shining, dried plants often warm up enough to melt the snow around them a little faster than … Continue reading
Do you know what time it is? It’s time for another PRAIRIE WORD OF THE DAY! Today’s Prairie Word of the Day (fine, it’s actually two words) is: Habitat Heterogeneity Heterogeneity is really just a longer word for Diversity, which … Continue reading
I was looking through a couple batches of winter photos from recent years and found some images I’d never posted here. Since my camera hasn’t left its bag in the last week or so, I’ll post a few of those … Continue reading
Earlier this week, we had a foggy and frosty day. When the clouds finally started to thin, I popped across town to Lincoln Creek Prairie to see if I could get some photographs of the frost. Here are a few … Continue reading
As has become an annual tradition, I’ve once again put together a collection of my favorite photos from the last year. Most of these have appeared in 2015 blog posts, although I think at least one or two haven’t. (I’m … Continue reading
Before and after sunrise… Back in July, a small group of us got up early to do some prairie photography. We were attending the Grassland Restoration Network workshop in northwestern Minnesota and wanted to catch the sunrise at The Nature … Continue reading
It’s been too long since the initial installment of what was intended to be a regular feature of this blog – the Prairie Word of the Day. Since one blog post does not make a series, I figured I’d better … Continue reading