Search this Blog
- Prairie Blizzard Survival
- Photo of the Week – February 5, 2016
- Plant a Prairie February 13!
- Boys and Sticks
- Hubbard Fellowship – How would you like to help?
- Photo of the Week – January 27, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – The Myth of the White Buffalo Calf Woman
- Photo of the Week – January 22, 2016
- Prairie Word of the Day – Habitat Heterogeneity
- Photo of the Week – January 15, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – LeConte’s Bonanza
- An Aquatic Stick Insect
- Photo of the Week – January 7, 2016
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog: Ant Swarm (and Lunch)
- My Long Irrational Nightmare is Over. Sort of. Nevermind.
- Photo of the Week – December 31, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – What Does the Fox Eat?
- Favorite Photos of 2015
- Photo of the Week – December 17, 2015
- Prairie Word of the Day – Disturbance
Tag Archives: recovery
I drove up to the Niobrara Valley Preserve this week and arrived in time for a long hike before dark on Monday evening. It was the kind of opportunity to wander and think that is critically important (but unfortunately rare) … Continue reading
As I was looking at some of my recent photos from our Niobrara Valley Preserve, I realized that I have a series of photos from approximately the same vantage point that illustrates the site’s recovery from the major wildfire back … Continue reading
When I was at the Niobrara Valley Preserve a couple weeks ago, I spent some time exploring the area north of the river where the 2012 wildfire ripped through oak savanna and ponderosa pine woodland. As discussed in earlier posts, … Continue reading
I took our Hubbard Fellows up to the Niobrara Valley Preserve in north-central Nebraska last week. While we were there, I spent quite a bit of time in the east bison pasture, where the recovery of prairie plants from last year’s … Continue reading
Prairies demonstrate their resilience regularly, but usually in a fairly subtle way. They tend to adjust their plant composition after fire, grazing, or drought in ways you might not notice unless you were a botanist. Once in while, however, prairies take it to the next level and … Continue reading
Spring is finally changing the color of The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve in north central Nebraska. After last summer’s wildfire and drought, much of the Preserve was barren and brown all winter. Now, the area has had several small rainfalls during the last couple months, followed by a hard 3 … Continue reading
I made a quick trip up to our Niobrara Valley Preserve this week to help set up time lapse cameras that will help document recovery from last year’s massive wildfires. More on that next week… The weather followed the same … Continue reading
Most of you are familiar with the wildfire that affected our Niobrara Valley Preserve this summer. Well, we’re still trying to regain our footing after that event. A great deal of time and money has already been spent on rebuilding … Continue reading
I was back up at the Niobrara Valley Preserve last week to help with a roundup and sorting of the east bison herd (more on that later this week). While I was there, I was glad to see the prairies … Continue reading
As promised, I’ve gotten through my photos from last week’s wildfire and can give you a more complete report on the status of our Niobrara Valley Preserve. The fires in our area are now out, and most of the smoke has … Continue reading