Search this Blog
- Photo of the Week – January 29, 2015
- A Travel Week Plant Quiz
- Photo of the Week – January 23, 2015
- Ruminations on Tree Planting and Prairie Conservation
- Photo of the Week – January 15, 2015
- DON’T PANIC! It’s just a crane fly.
- A Hole New Mystery to Consider
- Photo of the Week – January 8, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – Jasmine and Tractors
- Photo of the Week – December 31, 2014
- Photo of the Week – December 26, 2014
- Survival of the Fittest?
- Photo of the Week – December 19, 2014
- Favorite Photos From 2014
- Contrasting Approaches to Prairie Management: Leopold, Land Health and Cabbages.
- Photo of the Week – December 11, 2014
- What I Look For When I Walk Through My Prairies
- Photo of the Week – December 4, 2014
- 2015-2016 Hubbard Fellowship – Apply Now!
- Wanna Know What Really Makes A Sunflower Lose its Head?
Tag Archives: reptile
We had a terrific field day last week – thanks to the more than 100 people who came out to explore our Platte River Prairies with us. There were two neat wildlife discoveries during the day. The first came when … Continue reading
On Wednesday, our staff was out enjoying some beautiful fall weather and harvesting the last of our prairie seeds for the season. Walking along a gravel lane, we found a small snake basking in the sun. I didn’t recognize it, … Continue reading
The temperature topped 80 degrees F today in the Platte River Prairies. I heard a frog plop into the water as I walked along a wetland edge. Red-winged blackbirds were defending territories. …and apparently red-sided garter snakes were feeling the spring … Continue reading
Meet Henry. Henry is a very small softshell turtle that spent a few days at our house in late August, 2010. I’m not sure what Henry thought of the ordeal, but our family sure enjoyed having him. He even went … Continue reading
Back in June of this year, I went up to The Nature Conservancy’s Broken Kettle Grasslands in northwest Iowa for a meeting on prescribed fire. As we were starting a field tour, a group of us was walking from the parking … Continue reading
My sons and I were at our family’s prairie and farm this weekend. At one point, we noticed that the cattle seemed agitated and were making a lot of noise and milling around. We walked up to see what was … Continue reading