Search this Blog
- Photo of the Week – January 23, 2015
- Ruminations on Tree Planting and Prairie Conservation
- Photo of the Week – January 15, 2015
- DON’T PANIC! It’s just a crane fly.
- A Hole New Mystery to Consider
- Photo of the Week – January 8, 2015
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – Jasmine and Tractors
- Photo of the Week – December 31, 2014
- Photo of the Week – December 26, 2014
- Survival of the Fittest?
- Photo of the Week – December 19, 2014
- Favorite Photos From 2014
- Contrasting Approaches to Prairie Management: Leopold, Land Health and Cabbages.
- Photo of the Week – December 11, 2014
- What I Look For When I Walk Through My Prairies
- Photo of the Week – December 4, 2014
- 2015-2016 Hubbard Fellowship – Apply Now!
- Wanna Know What Really Makes A Sunflower Lose its Head?
- Photo of the Week – November 28, 2014
- Thank You
Tag Archives: stewardship
Some people say it’s dangerous to make assumptions. I disagree. In fact, assumptions are both necessary and empowering. Land managers make assumptions all the time. If we didn’t, we’d never get anything done. Assumptions are only dangerous when they are … Continue reading
Volunteers are a critical part of our stewardship work at the Platte River Prairies. We don’t have a lot of them, but we’ve been lucky to have some great ones. All of our volunteers are appreciated, but we have special … Continue reading
Lessons From a Project to Improve Prairie Quality – Part 1: Patch-Burn Grazing, Plant Diversity, and Butterflies
We recently completed a large multi-year restoration and management project at our Platte River Prairies. Our specific objectives were to improve habitat quality for various at-risk prairie species and evaluate the impacts of our management on at-risk butterflies – particularly … Continue reading
Prairie management can be complicated, regardless of how big a prairie is. Managing small prairies, however, is especially challenging, and it can be difficult to know how to set appropriate objectives – let alone how to achieve them. Living in … Continue reading