Big Fat Toad

For no particular reason, other than because I saw this one hopping around on a sand bar of a creek today…

Here’s a photo of a toad.

Woodhouse's Toad. The Nature Conservancy's Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.

For more information on Woodhouse’s toads, you can refer back to an earlier post from early April.

9 thoughts on “Big Fat Toad

1. Dan Fogell June 13, 2011 / 11:40 pm

Chris – I think you have an unhealthy fondness for toads. ;) Nice image.

2. Ernest Ochsner June 14, 2011 / 8:54 am

Chris, These are one of my favorite little creatures. I love finding them on the sidewalk out front or behind Espressions. They let you scratch their backs and they eat tons of bugs and worms and other little stuff.
    The shot is very nice also.

3. Anna June 14, 2011 / 9:07 am

I love those toads! This one doesn’t look very happy with you.

4. Larry Jeutter June 14, 2011 / 2:09 pm

Chris:
    Our lake association is trying to set up a frog survey to identify and track the frog/toad population from year to year around our lake. Do you know of anyone who is familiar with this type of project who could give us some ideas about how to go about this?

• Chris Helzer June 14, 2011 / 9:26 pm

Larry – let me track down some info and I’ll get back to you.

• Chris Helzer June 15, 2011 / 3:20 pm

Larry – I’ll be sending you an email with a good contact person for this.

5. jeanine lackey June 14, 2011 / 8:49 pm

Now isn’t he a handsome fella!!!

6. James C. Trager June 15, 2011 / 8:09 am

Larry — A good technique is a frog song survey on rainy nights April-July. No capturing necessary, though tracking them down and photoraphing can be an enjoyable challenge. Many frog species will not breed in ponds with fish in them, unless there are heavily vegetated, nearly flat areas where they can avoid predation by fish.