Following the backyard prairie theme from earlier this week, here is a photo I took yesterday in my prairie garden.  I had been looking through my files of recent images, and didn’t see anything I was excited about posting as a Photo of the Week.  The light outside was pretty nice for closeup photography (bright overcast), so I grabbed my camera and went to have a look around the garden.  About 5 minutes later, I had my image.

Sideoats grama seeds.  Helzer Prairie Garden - Aurora, Nebraska.
Sideoats grama seeds. Helzer Prairie Garden – Aurora, Nebraska.

Don’t you love prairie gardens?

7 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – October 31, 2013

1. Cate Gross October 31, 2013 / 2:35 pm

Chris, How large is your back yard prairie garden?

• Chris Helzer October 31, 2013 / 10:03 pm

Cate – not very big. Maybe 15×20 feet or so. Then I have a couple smaller linear ones along the edge of the garage/vegetable garden

2. Joanne October 31, 2013 / 3:07 pm

Yes, indeed I do love prairie gardens !

3. James McGee October 31, 2013 / 4:53 pm

Hi Chris, If you are interested in suggestions you could post a photo of some prairie grasses in orange-yellow fall color?
    Sincerely,
    James

• James McGee November 1, 2013 / 4:45 pm

Some plants that have nice autumn color are Sporobolus heterolepis, Solidago speciosa, and Rosa carolina.
      Sincerely,
      James

4. Becky November 1, 2013 / 12:03 pm

Big LIKE! In my prairie garden there is Sideoats, Switch, Indian, Big Muhly, and more. Love the fall and the color change of prairie grasses.

5. Jacob November 2, 2013 / 3:09 pm

Quite a lot of plants grow in that region.