From time to time, I like to use this blog to provide important public service information.  Today, I am attempting to fill an important gap in the bank of available prairie ecology images.  I looked and looked online but was unable to find any photos of insects on prairie dog poop.

Now there will be two.  You’re very welcome.

Flies on prairie dog poop.  The Nature Conservancy's Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.

Flies on prairie dog poop. The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.

A beetle on prairie dog poop.  The Nature Conservancy's Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.

A beetle on prairie dog poop. The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Insects, Prairie Natural History, Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Photo of the Week – December 15, 2016

1. Pat says:

Ha, ha! The beauty of the insects is not dependent on the background. Thanks for filling that gap. :)

2. marknupen says:

Yes, Chris, indeed, I don’t recall such an image of insects eating animal poop! You have discovered a new literary ‘niche’. Nice work! Of course your pictures are perfect. Thanks

3. There are countless points of information the absences of which I had never realized I was missing.

4. Kim Sosin says:

Thank Y-eeewwww! :)

Kim

5. Sylvia says:

What beautiful creatures flies are…so very colorful and such a part of the cycle of life.

6. Stuart Allison says:

Thank you. You make me so proud to be a prairie ecologist!

7. meta felt says:

Don’t know if you intended it to be funny, but I really needed that laugh today.
    Thank YOU!

8. Paul says:

It’s about time!! You are a true pioneer in prairie ecology Chris!!

9. Paul Nielsen says:

Question: Are dung beetles specialists or generalists?

10. Patrick says:

Nature’s recyclers!

11. Edward Pembleton says:

Chris:

Well, this should make you eligible for a special sweatshirt from the National Mustard Museum-see attached, and you can order here (I don’t know what size you need) and if you have never visited the place, it’s worth the trip, plus there’s a good restaurant on the same block with great pies.

Great post–and who knows what lurks in prairie dog poop?

Ed

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:17 AM, The Prairie Ecologist wrote:

> Chris Helzer posted: “From time to time, I like to use this blog to > provide important public service information. Today, I am attempting to > fill an important gap in the bank of available prairie ecology images. I > looked and looked online but was unable to find any photos of ” >

12. Kevin Franck says:

The pic of the flies on the dung makes me thing of that Bug’s Life Poo Poo Platter scene

13. James McGee says:

Hmmm, is this post a political statement? I can’t help but thinking there is some hidden political statement. :)