From time to time, I like to use this blog to provide important public service information.  Today, I am attempting to fill an important gap in the bank of available prairie ecology images.  I looked and looked online but was unable to find any photos of insects on prairie dog poop.

Now there will be two.  You’re very welcome.

Flies on prairie dog poop.  The Nature Conservancy's Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.
Flies on prairie dog poop. The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.
A beetle on prairie dog poop.  The Nature Conservancy's Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.
A beetle on prairie dog poop. The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve, Nebraska.

14 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – December 15, 2016

1. Pat December 15, 2016 / 8:29 am

Ha, ha! The beauty of the insects is not dependent on the background. Thanks for filling that gap. :)

2. marknupen December 15, 2016 / 8:38 am

Yes, Chris, indeed, I don’t recall such an image of insects eating animal poop! You have discovered a new literary ‘niche’. Nice work! Of course your pictures are perfect. Thanks

3. greenneighbors December 15, 2016 / 8:50 am

There are countless points of information the absences of which I had never realized I was missing.

4. Kim Sosin December 15, 2016 / 8:56 am

Thank Y-eeewwww! :)

Kim

5. Sylvia December 15, 2016 / 8:57 am

What beautiful creatures flies are…so very colorful and such a part of the cycle of life.

6. Stuart Allison December 15, 2016 / 9:45 am

Thank you. You make me so proud to be a prairie ecologist!

7. meta felt December 15, 2016 / 12:57 pm

Don’t know if you intended it to be funny, but I really needed that laugh today.
    Thank YOU!

8. Paul December 15, 2016 / 3:40 pm

It’s about time!! You are a true pioneer in prairie ecology Chris!!

9. Paul Nielsen December 15, 2016 / 5:05 pm

Question: Are dung beetles specialists or generalists?

• Chris Helzer December 16, 2016 / 9:40 am

I assume they have some specialization, but it’s a great question and I don’t know for sure.

10. Patrick December 15, 2016 / 6:53 pm

Nature’s recyclers!

11. Edward Pembleton December 16, 2016 / 12:18 pm

Chris:

Well, this should make you eligible for a special sweatshirt from the National Mustard Museum-see attached, and you can order here (I don’t know what size you need) and if you have never visited the place, it’s worth the trip, plus there’s a good restaurant on the same block with great pies.

Great post–and who knows what lurks in prairie dog poop?

Ed

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:17 AM, The Prairie Ecologist wrote:

> Chris Helzer posted: “From time to time, I like to use this blog to > provide important public service information. Today, I am attempting to > fill an important gap in the bank of available prairie ecology images. I > looked and looked online but was unable to find any photos of ” >

12. Kevin Franck December 17, 2016 / 4:36 pm

The pic of the flies on the dung makes me thing of that Bug’s Life Poo Poo Platter scene

13. James McGee December 18, 2016 / 4:59 pm

Hmmm, is this post a political statement? I can’t help but thinking there is some hidden political statement. :)