I’ve finally gotten through all the survey responses many of you provided over the last couple weeks, including all of the open-ended comments from the last two questions.  Again, I really appreciate everyone who took the time to take that survey, and I am especially grateful for all your constructive and thoughtful suggestions.

Earlier this week, I shared a close-up photo of ice melting along the edge of a stream, and promised more.  Here they are.  One of the joys of close-up photography is the chance to capture intricate beauty from unexpected places.  In this case, I never would have stopped to look at this half-frozen muddy stream beneath a concrete highway bridge if I hadn’t been looking for photographic opportunities.  Even then, it took me a lot of trial and error before I ended up with any images I really liked.  Notwithstanding my wet, cold, and muddy pants and some suspicious glances from passersby, I’m really glad I took the time.

Ice

Ice

leaf

enpo170129_d020

enpo170129_d019

enpo170129_d013

enpo170129_d021

Ok, enough with ice photos.  I’ll try to get back to some prairie ecology next week.

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Photo of the Week – February 3, 2017

1. marknupen says:

Oh, No, I love the ice photos with Your technique and camera.

Beautiful.

thanks mark

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 6:46 AM, The Prairie Ecologist wrote:

> Chris Helzer posted: “I’ve finally gotten through all the survey responses > many of you provided over the last couple weeks, including all of the > open-ended comments from the last two questions. Again, I really > appreciate everyone who took the time to take that survey, and I a” >

2. Sylvia says:

Ice photos are prairie ecology!

3. shoreacres says:

Living among prairies where ice is exceedingly uncommon, it’s delightful to see this aspect of yours. It’s a bonus that the photos are so beautiful.

4. Errr It’s cold…!!
    Loved your pics.

5. Dave Jungst says:

“suspicious glances from passersby” – haha, I can sure relate to that as a fellow photographer and investigator of nature, I get those all the time!

6. Tom P says:

Great photos! Any suggestion on what tree or bush the leaf came from? Can you share in a general way the gist of the comments?

I’m not sure what kind of leaf it is. It’s in an area with lots of horticultural varieties, so the possibilities are many. It’s not a prairie plant… : ) The comments were 99% positive, and most were along the lines of “keep doing what you’re doing!”. Others had specific suggestions of post topics they’d like to see.

7. Linda Giles says:

What camera and settings do you use to get your closeups?

8. Susan Stropes says:

Very interesting photos Chris , but I’m ready for some early spring wild flowers!

9. Teresa Lombard says:

Does anyone else see a HUGE turtle eating a duck in the 5th photo? Or maybe it’s a dinosaur… I love your photos and really look forward to the ecology posts. I’ve been reading The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan and it’s made me hungry for more science information on drought / climate change / ecological adaptation processes on the prairie.

10. Julene Bair says: