Introducing “The Plant Game”

Last fall, I invented a silly game to play at a staff gathering.  People seemed to enjoy it, so I’ve decided to test it out as a periodic feature here on the blog.

Plants, like all organisms, have both a common name and a Latin name.  Latin names (e.g., Dalea purpurea) are most useful to scientists, but common names (e.g., purple prairie clover) are easier for most of us to remember.  However, common names can also be really goofy.  In fact, some of them are almost unbelievable, and that is the basis for this game.

The point of the game is to look at four alleged plant names and guess which one of them I made up.  Three of the names are listed in The Flora of Nebraska as official plant names, but one is completely fake.  See if you can guess.  I’m hoping that even trained botanists will struggle with some of these because they tend to use Latin names more than common names.

Let’s see how this goes.  I’ll provide the correct answers in a blog post later this week.  (Don’t cheat – just guess.  It’s more fun that way.)

Oh, and it seems like we should have a better name for this than “The Plant Game”, so if you have suggestions, please let me know in the comments section below.  Puns are welcome.

11 thoughts on “Introducing “The Plant Game”

1. dmrankin3031 . February 20, 2017 / 8:57 am

I love this! Would work well for Master Gardener groups or garden clubs.

Diana M. Rankin UMN Extension Master Gardener, Kanabec County

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 8:40 AM, The Prairie Ecologist wrote:

> Chris Helzer posted: “Last fall, I invented a silly game to play at a > staff gathering. People seemed to enjoy it, so I’ve decided to test it out > as a periodic feature here on the blog. Plants, like all organisms, have > both a common name and a Latin name. Latin names (e.g.” >

2. Rob Fleming February 20, 2017 / 9:14 am

Linnealapalooza

3. Kim Sosin February 20, 2017 / 9:40 am

Fun. If it weren’t too political, call it the “alternative plant name game” or “fake news name” for short. Lol

Kim

On Feb 20, 2017 6:40 AM, “The Prairie Ecologist” wrote:

4. Dale Steichen February 20, 2017 / 9:55 am

How about the Nebr Prairies Plant Game

5. Chris Helzer February 20, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. Interestingly, a majority are guessing right on the first question (I made it easy on purpose) but most people have been wrong on the second.

6. Terrence Miesle February 20, 2017 / 2:21 pm

At this weekend’s Wild Things Conference in Chicago, during the Plenary Session a game was played – Freshwater Mussel or Dick Tracy Villain?

7. Delta Landscape February 20, 2017 / 2:39 pm

Fun! Odd Plant Out. Plant Plant Ploop. Bamboozled! (that would be a good one if it were only about bamboos). One Plant, Two Plant, Red Plant, New Plant. Duplicity.

8. Danelle H February 21, 2017 / 8:26 am

Fact or Fertilizer…

9. Luddene Perry February 21, 2017 / 8:40 am

The Plant Game is now on the agenda for my garden class this Thursday in Central City!