I’m just back home from a week of outdoor family vacation, so apologies for another brief post.  Earlier this week, while I was crouched low to the ground photographing a flower, I noticed a little friend perched on a nearby grass stem.  She looked like she wanted to make a connection with me, but I wasn’t looking for that kind of relationship.  Instead, I swung the camera around, photographed her, and then left her hanging.  I know, I’m a real cad…

A female American Dog Tick (Dermacentor variabilis), aka Wood Tick, waiting for just the right someone to pass by.

10 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – June 2, 2017

1. emcinturf June 3, 2017 / 6:40 am

Until I remember that ticks aren’t insects, it looks like she has mastered levitation! Truly, I never saw up close how they make almost all their legs available for the grab. Ticks are the bane of my existence in eastern Kansas, but thank you anyway!

2. Paul Nielsen June 3, 2017 / 8:20 am

Your next challenge is to photographically document the process whereby the tick transfers itself from the plant to the animal.

3. Dee Hudson Photography June 3, 2017 / 2:04 pm

She looks rather clingy and like someone that would suck the life out of you. I think you made the right move and I advise you to keep your distance!

4. marknupen June 3, 2017 / 4:53 pm

Oh, she just wants some Love! Take ME!!

5. James McGee June 3, 2017 / 8:16 pm

People have told me that after a prescribed burn there are no ticks for a while. I have also found this to be true. I am guessing you were in a prairie that was not burned this past season.

6. Nancy June 3, 2017 / 9:19 pm

I occasionally find a dead one on my dogs, still latched on. The systemic treatment kills them but they don’t let go. On me, they’re still walking around.

7. saaribampo June 5, 2017 / 11:30 am

Great photo of an organism I frequently remove from my body up here in the North Woods!

8. Jennifer Hopwood June 5, 2017 / 11:32 am

I love the name (though not fond of the results of the process) for this behavior: questing.

9. James C. Trager June 5, 2017 / 12:08 pm

A funny cad, though!

10. Robert Cox June 11, 2017 / 2:29 pm

Cute photo, thanks. Remind me: why are we biased against that species?