I’m just back home from a week of outdoor family vacation, so apologies for another brief post.  Earlier this week, while I was crouched low to the ground photographing a flower, I noticed a little friend perched on a nearby grass stem.  She looked like she wanted to make a connection with me, but I wasn’t looking for that kind of relationship.  Instead, I swung the camera around, photographed her, and then left her hanging.  I know, I’m a real cad…

A female American Dog Tick (Dermacentor variabilis), aka Wood Tick, waiting for just the right someone to pass by.

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Insects, Prairie Photography and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Photo of the Week – June 2, 2017

1. emcinturf says:

Until I remember that ticks aren’t insects, it looks like she has mastered levitation! Truly, I never saw up close how they make almost all their legs available for the grab. Ticks are the bane of my existence in eastern Kansas, but thank you anyway!

2. Paul Nielsen says:

Your next challenge is to photographically document the process whereby the tick transfers itself from the plant to the animal.

3. She looks rather clingy and like someone that would suck the life out of you. I think you made the right move and I advise you to keep your distance!

4. marknupen says:

Oh, she just wants some Love! Take ME!!

5. James McGee says:

People have told me that after a prescribed burn there are no ticks for a while. I have also found this to be true. I am guessing you were in a prairie that was not burned this past season.

6. Nancy says:

I occasionally find a dead one on my dogs, still latched on. The systemic treatment kills them but they don’t let go. On me, they’re still walking around.

7. saaribampo says:

Great photo of an organism I frequently remove from my body up here in the North Woods!

8. Jennifer Hopwood says:

I love the name (though not fond of the results of the process) for this behavior: questing.

9. James C. Trager says:

A funny cad, though!

10. Robert Cox says:

Cute photo, thanks. Remind me: why are we biased against that species?