I had a few minutes after a meeting yesterday to walk through a restored wetland in our Platte River Prairies.  I didn’t really have any preconceived notion of what I was looking for – I just wanted to explore a site I hadn’t visited for a while.  There weren’t many flowers still blooming, but the golds and browns of autumn vegetation were still mixed with quite a bit of green.  Recent rains had raised the level of the stream flowing through the site, as well as the groundwater-linked wetlands adjacent to it.  I pulled my muck boots on over the decent jeans I’d worn for the meeting and wandered out into the wetland.  Here are a few of the photos I got from my brief walk.  I hope you enjoy them.

Water flows over a small beaver dam, split and rippled by multi-colored vegetation.
Swamp milkweed seeds lined up and waiting to make their jump.
A beggarticks (Bidens sp) plant in water surrounded by floating duckweed.

9 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – October 5, 2017

1. Rodger Benson October 5, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Bidens have a great affinity for my socks and jeans!!!

2. Andy Sessions October 5, 2017 / 3:25 pm

Nice. The simple, splendid beauty of mother nature.

3. Rhonda Stansberry October 5, 2017 / 3:28 pm

Thanks for the photo and the mention of the beggarticks plant…I’ve always called them beggarlies, or maybe spelled beggar lice….and never have noticed them in flower. How could I have cursed a plant with such a cheerful yellow bloom?

4. Loren Wasson October 5, 2017 / 3:28 pm

Beautiful photos as always. Can you tell me the shutter speed for the water flowing over the beaver dam.

• Chris Helzer October 5, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Hi Loren, it was shot at 1/500 sec, F/8, with a 105mm macro lens.

5. Laurel Erickson October 5, 2017 / 4:38 pm

As usual, magnificent photos! My favorite is the swamp milkweed seeds ready to go!!

6. Bill October 5, 2017 / 7:14 pm

Wonderful photo of water over the dam!!! Striking.