This photo reminds me of something, but I can’t figure out what it is.  Help?

Melting snow around the base of prairie grass.
Melting snow around the base of prairie grass.

The photo shows melting snow crystals around the edge of some prairie grass.  You can’t see the grass because I focused in very closely on the snow crystals, with shadows in the background for contrast.

The “character” on the left is very familiar somehow…

29 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – February 21, 2013

1. Smedra, Bev - NRCS-CD, Ord, NE February 21, 2013 / 2:24 pm

Looks like “Sid” the Sloth from the Ice Age Movie!!

2. Pat Halderman February 21, 2013 / 2:25 pm

It looks like Cindy Loo, from the Grinch Stole Christmas to me. And it is beautiful!

3. savannagal February 21, 2013 / 2:25 pm

Kind of reminds me of a cartoon monk with a tuft of hair at the back of this head, his hands clutched together in front of him, wearing a long robe. He does have a really long nose, but I think that’s part of what makes him look cartoonish.

4. Becky February 21, 2013 / 2:27 pm

A Dr. Seuss character perhaps???

5. Eric February 21, 2013 / 2:27 pm

looks like Sid the sloth from “Ice Age”……

6. kjsgarden February 21, 2013 / 2:31 pm

I see Kokopelli, the Native American mythical figure.

7. Jon February 21, 2013 / 2:33 pm

It sort of reminds me of Disney’s “The Little Mermaid”, when Ursula transformed people/merpeople into little piles of animated goo. I don’t remember more of the story than that though…

8. Alexis J February 21, 2013 / 2:55 pm

I see an old woman with a massive nose, hands clasped together at her chest…

9. Ron February 21, 2013 / 2:59 pm

No, it’s Annikan Skywalker’s employer in Star Wars. You know, the guy who lost Annikan in a pod race wager.

10. Cody February 21, 2013 / 3:20 pm

Too funny. The first thing that comes to mind (and I suppose it dates me) is from Looney Tunes, the “henchmen” of Marvin the Martian. They were those green, bird-like creatures.

11. timupham February 21, 2013 / 3:45 pm

Do any seeds of wild prairie grasses have to be frozen first, before they sprout? The seeds of the Giant sequoia have to be frozen first, before they sprout. I am finding out, how common this is for Northern Hemisphere plants.

• Chris Helzer February 21, 2013 / 3:57 pm

Tim, many prairie species germinate better after being cold-stratified. I’m sure there are resources that can give you lists, but I’m not coming up with one off the top of my head.

• timupham February 21, 2013 / 4:54 pm

“The Prairie Nursery” divided seeds up into both moist stratification and dry stratification. Only a minority of seeds require moist stratification from anywhere from 10 to 30 days. They include Junegrasses, prairie dropseeds, and asters. The International Crane Foundation recreated a tallgrass prairie in Baraboo, Wisconsin. It is used for public education purposes. But they re-established a population of whooping cranes at Necedah National Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin. The first population of whooping cranes, east of the Mississippi River in 100 years. The population is at 105, and were all taught by ultra-light aircraft to migrate to Florida. All cranes are long-range migratory birds. But the inter-connection of the prairie ecosystem is vital to know, especially in recreating habitat and wildlife populations.

• dawnraschel February 22, 2013 / 7:45 am

Very nice. :). I have been watching crane migration for a couple of years now. I appreciate your link of fauna to flora. I am studying invasive species and ecosystem function as a graduate student and hopefully as a career … we need to spread the concept of connectivity. :) Chris commented a week or so ago about a three minute presentation he conducted. I liked his presentation (I have done a lot myself) Oddly, I have listened to several Nature Conservancy presenters and one of them actually said we need to decrease our biologist staff and concentrate on food production instead of land conservation. So glad I found Chris’ uplifting and enlightening blog and conversation with so many caring people. :). Again nice job Tim.

12. SteveJ February 21, 2013 / 3:51 pm

I agree with Eric – looks like Sid the sloth from “Ice Age”……
    Beautiful picture.

13. Sara February 21, 2013 / 3:53 pm

I think it looks like Ed, from Ed, Edd N Eddy

14. Teresa Lombard - Lincoln Nebraska February 21, 2013 / 4:40 pm

Gonzo – from the Muppets! Or – do I get two guesses? The pre-chipmunk creature in the animated short that goes before the Ice Age movie?

• bvanderweide February 21, 2013 / 9:47 pm

My thoughts exactly! Gonzo was the first thing that popped into my mind. The ice picture is beautiful.

15. Randall Hernan February 21, 2013 / 5:01 pm

A Seahorse!

• Angela Anderson February 22, 2013 / 11:58 am

ditto!

16. Jim Fiedler, Rome, IN February 21, 2013 / 7:26 pm

A skinny elephant climbing a mountain! 5 toes on its foot of course!

17. Karen Hamburger February 22, 2013 / 8:08 pm