Random Caterpillar Photo

For no particular reason, here is a picture of a caterpillar:

This photo was taken just after the sun went down at Griffith Prairie - owned and managed by Prairie Plains Resource Institute.  North of Aurora, Nebraska.  June 27, 2006.
This photo was taken just after sunset at Griffith Prairie – owned and managed by Prairie Plains Resource Institute. North of Aurora, Nebraska. June 27, 2006.

I was looking through some old photos and stumbled upon this one.  I’d forgotten how much I liked it, and thought I’d share it with you.

Among other things, I like the “flyaway hair” of this caterpillar.  I hope it brightens your day..

22 thoughts on “Random Caterpillar Photo

1. Lynn Bills March 26, 2014 / 9:17 am

Chris,
    This is one of my favorite images of yours.

• Chris Helzer March 26, 2014 / 9:21 am

Mine too, Lynn. Usually, I like my more recent photos better than old ones, but this is one bucks that trend. I guess that might be a good indication of its quality! This was taken not too long after I got my first digital SLR back in 2006…

2. Michael Roberts March 26, 2014 / 9:18 am

Most everything you share Chris “brightens my day.” Thank you for the consistent, diligent look into another world and another perspective.

3. David Ellis March 26, 2014 / 9:24 am

Thank you Chris. Your “eye” for beauty is a blessing. I like the photo too.

4. Tom Prunier March 26, 2014 / 9:26 am

The hairs remind me of the starling that grabbed a gypsy moth caterpillar and scrubbed it in the roadside gravel to break the spines before eating it. Great photo!

5. Danny Staehr March 26, 2014 / 9:30 am

Any guess on the ID of this caterpillar?

• Chris Helzer March 26, 2014 / 10:05 am

Danny – not sure. Maybe salt marsh caterpillar (Estigmene acrea) but I’m just guessing. I’ve got another photo of it that shows the back (top?) but it doesn’t help ME with ID.

• Laci March 26, 2014 / 11:27 am

The black and yellow face is one of the characteristics I use to distinguish E. acrea from Spilosoma virginica.

6. Pat Halderman March 26, 2014 / 9:31 am

A great way to start the day with a smile at the beautiful caterpillar! His or her hair looks like mine today!

7. thompsonxyz March 26, 2014 / 9:33 am

Yes, Chris, it brightens my day — as usual. I love to be reminded of all interests in prairies. And this weekend I’ll attend the Day of Insects at Reiman Garden at Iowa State University. I learned about DOI several years ago while attending a prairie meeting. So much to learn about non-plant items about prairies.

8. elfinelvin March 26, 2014 / 9:38 am

Love it! Kind of like what I see in the mirror first thing in the morning.

9. Bob Stine March 26, 2014 / 9:52 am

Who knew? Caterpillars have halos!

What a fantastic picture.

10. Kim March 26, 2014 / 10:29 am

Nice job focusing right on his (her?) face! This would be quite scary if we didn’t know that he is very small.

11. Judith Deaton March 26, 2014 / 10:42 am

Every hair in place!

12. Tom Dupin March 26, 2014 / 1:01 pm

Great pic, as usual. Any info on species?

13. James C. Trager March 26, 2014 / 2:15 pm

People pay a lot of money to get their hair arranged like that.