Ok, I admit it – I’m a sucker for crab spiders.

A crab spider on Flodman's thistle (Cirsium flodmanii) at the Helzer family prairie.

A crab spider on Flodman’s thistle (Cirsium flodmanii) at the Helzer family prairie.  July 2014.

As much as I enjoy looking at prairie flowers, I enjoy them even more when there’s a crab spider lying in wait among their petals.  I must have more than a hundred photos of crab spiders on flowers, but when the lighting is good and I see those long hairy legs and cute little face… I just can’t help myself!

Do you suppose I need some kind of intervention?

“Hi, my name is Chris Helzer and I really like crab spiders.”  (Hi Chris…)

“It’s been three weeks since I last photographed a crab spider…”  (Applause)

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Insects, Prairie Natural History, Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Photo of the Week – January 29, 2015

1. Chuckle . . . I think admitting your problem is the first step to recovery. :) Nice pic! I hope that saying this does not encourage a backward slide.

2. Anna Helzer says:

Intervention might be good. Or maybe counseling to help you deal with your son’s sass about your age? Or about your hair ;)

• Patrick says:

Speaking of hair, I notice a thin gray one in the upper left part of the photo. That wouldn’t be one of yours, would it Chris? ;-)
      Or a family dog?

3. Agnes says:

He he :) Cute. I must need some intervention too! Not with crab spiders…but who knows…you try one thing, it often leads to the next nature addiction! :)

I love your posts. They are informative, inspiring and genuine. They make me feel like I am a part of something important among those that understand and know how important it is to preserve and protect…even though I am so far away. It makes it easier to keep the passion alive in the day-to-day culture of seeming indifference. Thank you !!

That made me giggle :) Your photographs are beautiful. Please keep sharing.

4. Ernest Ochsner says:

I would imagine they are a bit hard to find right now. They are kinda cute though and such a pretty color.

5. It’s been months since my last spider and Ian crawling in the snow looking for them :)

6. You do have a problem but it would appear to be a good one!

7. Bob Brewer says:

It is an excellent photo. Thanks for sharing the beauty and wonder of nature.

8. Deborah Woracek says:

I am obsessed not only with crab spiders but whatever else may be hunting on the prairie flowers…assassin bugs absolutely rock….oh yeah, and stink bugs…and ….sigh

9. Patti Holmlund says:

I, too, love creepy crawlies…especially spiders!

10. Molly says:

I forwarded this post to my sister, The Bug Lady. She said she could not help with the intervention, and forwarded this post of hers in explanation:

11. C says:

You are SO FUNNY! That’s why I love reading your blog!
    WRITE ON!

12. lauraluh says:

I once observed a long dash butterfly sitting in a penstemon flower but on closer look a crab spider was hanging on to it which made the encounter even cooler. Sick huh? I will have to join your meetings….