Ok, I admit it – I’m a sucker for crab spiders.

A crab spider on Flodman's thistle (Cirsium flodmanii) at the Helzer family prairie.
A crab spider on Flodman’s thistle (Cirsium flodmanii) at the Helzer family prairie.  July 2014.

As much as I enjoy looking at prairie flowers, I enjoy them even more when there’s a crab spider lying in wait among their petals.  I must have more than a hundred photos of crab spiders on flowers, but when the lighting is good and I see those long hairy legs and cute little face… I just can’t help myself!

Do you suppose I need some kind of intervention?

“Hi, my name is Chris Helzer and I really like crab spiders.”  (Hi Chris…)

“It’s been three weeks since I last photographed a crab spider…”  (Applause)

13 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – January 29, 2015

1. Dee Hudson Photography January 29, 2015 / 9:42 pm

Chuckle . . . I think admitting your problem is the first step to recovery. :) Nice pic! I hope that saying this does not encourage a backward slide.

2. Anna Helzer January 29, 2015 / 9:44 pm

Intervention might be good. Or maybe counseling to help you deal with your son’s sass about your age? Or about your hair ;)

• Patrick January 30, 2015 / 7:12 pm

Speaking of hair, I notice a thin gray one in the upper left part of the photo. That wouldn’t be one of yours, would it Chris? ;-)
      Or a family dog?

3. Agnes January 29, 2015 / 10:13 pm

He he :) Cute. I must need some intervention too! Not with crab spiders…but who knows…you try one thing, it often leads to the next nature addiction! :)

I love your posts. They are informative, inspiring and genuine. They make me feel like I am a part of something important among those that understand and know how important it is to preserve and protect…even though I am so far away. It makes it easier to keep the passion alive in the day-to-day culture of seeming indifference. Thank you !!

That made me giggle :) Your photographs are beautiful. Please keep sharing.

4. Ernest Ochsner January 29, 2015 / 11:14 pm

I would imagine they are a bit hard to find right now. They are kinda cute though and such a pretty color.

5. Victor Rakmil January 30, 2015 / 5:14 am

It’s been months since my last spider and Ian crawling in the snow looking for them :)

6. centralohionature January 30, 2015 / 5:56 am

You do have a problem but it would appear to be a good one!

7. Bob Brewer January 30, 2015 / 7:23 am

It is an excellent photo. Thanks for sharing the beauty and wonder of nature.

8. Deborah Woracek January 30, 2015 / 8:26 am

I am obsessed not only with crab spiders but whatever else may be hunting on the prairie flowers…assassin bugs absolutely rock….oh yeah, and stink bugs…and ….sigh

9. Patti Holmlund January 30, 2015 / 8:54 am

I, too, love creepy crawlies…especially spiders!

10. C February 2, 2015 / 12:10 am

You are SO FUNNY! That’s why I love reading your blog!
    WRITE ON!

11. lauraluh February 2, 2015 / 7:47 am

I once observed a long dash butterfly sitting in a penstemon flower but on closer look a crab spider was hanging on to it which made the encounter even cooler. Sick huh? I will have to join your meetings….