Please plan to join us for our next field day on June 22, 2016. We will have multiple field sessions to choose from throughout the day from 9am to 3:30pm. There is no cost for attending, and families are welcome. Bring your own lunch (and sunscreen, insect repellant, and drinking water).
Session topics include:
Plant identification and ecology
– Chris Helzer, The Nature Conservancy
Principles of prairie management
– Gerry Steinauer, Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
– Julie Peterson, University of Nebraska Extension
Gardening with native plants
– Kim Helzer, TNC Volunteer and Centennial High School Science Teacher
Edible wild plants
– Cyndi Trail, The Nature Conservancy
Prairie seed harvesting and processing
– Mardell Jasnowski, The Nature Conservancy
How to help monitor monarch and regal fritillary butterfly populations
– Melissa Panella, Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
Each session will be available at least twice during the day. We will likely add another couple session options within the next weeks stay tuned for a final agenda to be posted here within the next couple of weeks.
The Derr House is located 2 miles south of the Wood River exit off of Interstate 80 (Exit 300). Turn south immediately after the highway curves to the east and you’ll be there.
For more directions to the site, go to: http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/nebraska/placesweprotect/eastern-nebraska-platte-river-native-prairie-nature-trail.xml