Over the last three days, I’ve given three presentations and led a workshop.  I think I’m running out of words.  There’s no question I’ve run out of the desire to be around people.  I say this in defense of what is going to be a late and very short post at the end of this long week.

I scanned quickly through my February photos tonight and found two that are very different in scale.  One from early February is a close up of a grazed plant in the snow.  The other is a shot of Sandhill cranes that have been pouring into the Platte River this week as part of their annual migration.  I hope you enjoy this very brief (and admittedly lazy) overview of February on the Platte River of Nebraska.  I’m going to bed.

Some kind of plant that was nipped off by some kind of animal. Stiff goldenrod? Rabbit? Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.

Sandhill cranes on a mostly frozen Platte River this week.

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Animals, Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Photo of the Week – March 2, 2018

1. Ian Penna says:

Your ‘Sandhill Cranes on a mostly frozen Platte River’ photo would make a great Jigsaw puzzle!

2. D Thompson says:

We all know that through the seasons and the years the prairies go through continuous changes. We all greatly appreciate that you record many of those changes. Please continue.

3. mikesbucket says:

Strangely, this post showed up on my Facebook feed right next to this post from “becoming minimalist”.
    Uncle Mike

4. Julene Bair says:

Yes, please do continue. Gorgeous picture of the cranes!

5. Joanne says:

Hope you had a much needed winter rest. Your postings and photos are heart warmers for this ole “sandhiller”

6. James McGee says:

I’ve heard being popular is tough. You’ll be fine. Just remember the lesson’s you learned from running and pace yourself.

7. I hope you were able to get some rest, and are able to have plenty of time out in nature. I am excited to see a few things coming up.

8. James C. Trager says:

I love the caption on the first one. To be turly minimalist, you could have just left it “Some kind of plant that was nipped off by some kind of animal.”

w