Forests are not the only habitats that have beautiful leaves in autumn.  Here are two photos of a common prairie plant, wild bergamot (aka beebalm or Monarda fistulosa).  Both photos were taken yesterday in a small restored prairie.

Restored Prairie at The Leadership Center in Aurora, Nebraska.
Colorful leaves of wild bergamot in a restored prairie at The Leadership Center in Aurora, Nebraska.

More leaves, different plant, same prairie.
More leaves, different plant, same prairie.

As is usually the case, you have to look a little closer to see the beauty in a prairie as compared to forests or other “show off” habitat types.  It’s not a lot of work, though, and is usually worth the effort!

6 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – November 7, 2013

1. Mike Suiter November 7, 2013 / 4:54 pm

Great pics! I have some wild bergamot that is dark purple and hopefully light winds will let me get some pics of it this weekend.

2. Patricia Hill November 7, 2013 / 5:40 pm

Your photographs are stunning. Other prairie plants with colorful fall foliage in my prairie gardens: Smooth Blue Aster and Foxglove Beard Tongue, green with red and maroon overtones; Showy Goldenrod, Tall Coreopsis, and Prairie Alum Root, wine; Potentilla simplex, wine and scarlet; Euphorbia corollata, scarlet.

• Patrick November 7, 2013 / 6:14 pm

I’ll second the beardtongue and add that my Culvers root was a particularly stunning shade of yellow with black seed heads this year.

3. Sue Coder Kagarise November 8, 2013 / 3:52 pm

Beautiful plants and pics!

4. James McGee November 8, 2013 / 6:50 pm

Hi Chris, I do not recall noticing the purple glands and veins of wild bergamont in the fall. Have you ever seen a “frost flower?” I wish tall grass prairie plants made these interesting phenomena. I have never seen one in a prairie.

Sincerely,
    James

5. lancemfoster November 10, 2013 / 12:59 pm

Chris, next time you come to Rulo Bluffs, let me know. I’d like to show you a patch of prairie on our lands.