There are many benefits of being a morning person.  For example, I see a lot of sunrises – even in the summer when the sun comes up well before most people are awake.

Last weekend, I got up early and drove out to our Platte River Prairies to catch the sunrise.

I’m sure glad I did.

Sunrise in sand prairie.  TNC Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.

Stiff sunflowers (Helianthus pauciflorus) greeting the sunrise in sand prairie. TNC Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Photo of the Week – August 6, 2015

1. Gay Gilbert says:

Lovely! Thank you for sharing that beautiful moment.

2. Joanne says:

Love how they stand and greet the morning sun — then follow the sun all day.

3. A simply beautiful share, Chris. This photo is so picture perfect and full of story that it doesn’t need any words at all.

4. Teresa Lombard says:

Wow! Look at those rays. The canada wild rye looks like it is bowing down in homage. Lovely lovely lovely. I so wish I were a morning person. Takes me an hour or so to be alert once I’ve gotten my feet on the ground and coffee down the gullet. But my – this is enough to make me try a little harder. Saw dew on a perfectly round spider web this morning (from the car window as we drove right past). Your way is better.

5. Pat Halderman says:

Beautiful! I love sunrises

6. jimfetig says:

Your best photo yet.

7. Judy Parks says:

Lovely!

________________________________

8. This may be photo of the YEAR! Gorgeous capture.

9. Becky Mosier says:

Beautiful! Can you share the settings you used to get this shot? Did you have to photo shop to get the sun as well as the color in the foreground?
    Becky

10. Summer Songs says:

I wonder how long it takes sunflowers to face the rising sun, since their faces follow the setting sun the day before?

11. Tony Spencer says:

Hi Chris,
    Truly stunning shot. Benjamin Vogt suggested I look on your site – because I needed 1 exceptional image of a prairie as part of an upcoming talk on ‘Designing with Grasses’ here in Toronto at our local botanical gardens. May I have your permission to use this image? – w/ a photo credit etc. of course.