I was looking through a couple batches of winter photos from recent years and found some images I’d never posted here.  Since my camera hasn’t left its bag in the last week or so, I’ll post a few of those old photos today.

So – I hereby present:

“Miscellaneous photos I didn’t previously feel were worthy of posting but are better than nothing.”

Or maybe, “I bet you’ve never seen THESE photos before!”

ENPO130223_D005

Stiff sunflower (Helianthus pauciflorus) buried in snow. Aurora, Nebraska.

Frozen stream/wetland. The Nature Conservancy's Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.

Frozen stream/wetland. The Nature Conservancy’s Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.

Sun and shadow contrast on snow drift.

Sun and shadow contrast on snow drift.

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Prairie Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Photo of the Week – January 15, 2016

1. Mary Samerdyke says:

These photos are all so lovely and capture the essence of “place.”

2. Joanne says:

I can feel the essence of the prairie looking at these photos thank you for posting.

3. Lloyd Crim says:

How about some photos of harvestmen? Dig some of those out of the archives!

4. Betty Songer says:

Just beautiful! SO glad you decided to post these photos!Betty Songer

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 17:45:06 +0000 To: bbsong54@hotmail.com

5. kocart says:

At first I thought the snow drift was sand–it looks like the sand of Pensacola Beach. Lovely photos. The wide angle with the cottonwood in the distance evokes the kind of time and space distortion you feel on the high prairie in winter–very well done.

6. lv says:

Love sn*w! Beautifully captured.

7. Jane says:

Gorgeous shots! The last shot reminds me of sand dunes in Namibia…except that yours are white and cold of course. :)