I don’t often photograph sunrises and sunsets.  I’ve got file folders full of color slides from my early years of photography, many of which are trees, grain bins, and other objects silhouetted against the purple or orange sky of sunrises and sunsets.  They’re very nice, but I’m tired of them.  These days, when the sky lights up with color, I’m usually trying to capture the reflection of that colorful light on prairie wildflowers, grasses, and insects.

Last week, however, while I was in the Nebraska Sandhills, I was climbing up a steep hill just before sunrise and noticed a band of haze along the horizon.  Knowing that the sun would appear huge and red as it rose through that haze, I found a nice vantage point, got out my telephoto lens and waited.  And then I photographed the sunrise.  No silhouettes; just a simple celebration of a spectacular prairie landscape.

Sunrise over the Sandhillls.  Cherry County, Nebraska.
Sunrise over the Sandhillls. Cherry County, Nebraska.

I’m not sure there’s a better way to start a day.

11 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – June 24, 2016

1. Reece, Mary - NRCS, North Platte, NE June 24, 2016 / 8:10 am

What an awesome photo, worthy of looking at every morning! Thanks for sharing your photographic gift with the rest of us☺

MARY B. REECE
    District Conservationist
    USDA/Natural Resources Conservation Service
    1202 So Cottonwood, Suite 1
    North Platte, NE 69101

Phone (308)534-2360
    Fax 1-855-207-0383
    Email: mary.reece@ne.usda.gov

2. Joanne June 24, 2016 / 8:13 am

The posts of the sandhills — awesome and heart touching. thanks for sharing

3. Katie Heithoff June 24, 2016 / 10:12 am

Thanks for that shot!

4. Jordy Jordahl June 24, 2016 / 10:29 am

Chris – your photos and always something nice when I have a chance to get to the emails. Your voice is also appreciated.

Agree on the piles of pictures but your comment totally brings the joy of being able to watch the sun come up on a long summer day.

Hope you get to enjoy more of them!

Jordy

Harald (Jordy) Jordahl, Director
    America’s Watershed Initiative

Mobile (608) 445 8543

From: The Prairie Ecologist
    Reply-To: The Prairie Ecologist
    Date: Friday, June 24, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    To: Jordy Jordahl
    Subject: [New post] Photo of the Week – June 24, 2016

Chris Helzer posted: “I don’t often photograph sunrises and sunsets. I’ve got file folders full of color slides from my early years of photography, many of which are trees, grain bins, and other objects silhouetted against the purple or orange sky of sunrises and sunsets. Th”

5. Kim June 24, 2016 / 10:32 am

Reminds me of an old OP (Ocean Pacific) t-shirt even though it is it is far removed from the ocean. Very nice!

6. Paul June 24, 2016 / 10:42 am

I never tire of sunrises and sunsets – and at least for now admission is free if you can find yourself in a good spot to see them! Illinois has those in abundance. I will echo what Kim said about the ocean – – sunrise over the inland sea of grass and sand . . .

Thanks as always Chris!!

7. James McGee June 24, 2016 / 5:51 pm

It looks like another world.

8. Ernest Ochsner June 25, 2016 / 8:39 pm

Poetry my friend, it doesn’t get any better than that.