A Moment in Time

I actually saw this seed detach from a milkweed pod and float away on a breath of wind.  I tracked its flight until it got stuck – ever so slightly – on the seed head of a nearby grass plant.  I had just enough time to plop my tripod down, focus quickly, and squeeze off one shot before the gentle breeze lifted the seed again and carried it out of sight.

A butterfly milkweed seed clings (briefly) to the seed head of sideoats grama. Lincoln Creek Prairie – Aurora, Nebraska.

It was one of those rare, but gratifying, times when I actually caught a fleeting image with my camera.  Near misses are much more common – see earlier blog posts on photographing prairie dogs and bees, for example…  In fact, I often have to remind myself not to get so wrapped up in the (often fruitless) attempt to capture an image photographically that I forget to simply enjoy the moment.

This time, I got both the image and the enjoyment, which means I get to pass both along to you.

8 thoughts on “Photo of the Week – November 8, 2012

1. James C. Trager November 9, 2012 / 8:02 am

Great post, Chris. The photo and story are just perfect for a fall morning in the prairie!

PS – At the bee post, the “honeybee” pic is lovely, but not a honeybee. Too gray, configuration of pollen basket is wrong. (Better ask Mike for ID…)

2. Becky November 9, 2012 / 6:49 pm

Thank you for that brief moment of pure bliss!

3. Paul November 9, 2012 / 7:38 pm

Sincerely like all of your photos Chris – keep ’em coming. I haven’t seen a failure yet!!!

4. Karen Madsen November 9, 2012 / 7:54 pm

Lovely, truly lovely. . . . and I hope to be out on the Niobrara to see the sandhill cranes this spring . . . Karen Madsen

________________________________

• Chris Helzer November 10, 2012 / 4:04 pm

Thanks Karen. Make sure you come to the Platte River for the cranes, though, not the Niobrara… : )

5. MARK SALERNO November 10, 2012 / 8:12 am

Chris – your reflections and art work are like meditations for my soul. Thank you just doesn’t seem enough. But thank you. Thank you. Thank you.Carol

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 02:28:33 +0000 To: olebubba@msn.com

6. Sue Heavenrich November 13, 2012 / 9:59 am

gorgeous photo. Our milkweed seeds are long gone. Chris, I’ve got a couple questions about milkweed seed dispersal – can you connect with me?