Favorite Photos From 2014

As we near the end of another year, I’ve put together a collection of my favorite images from 2014.  I hope you enjoy them.  Though I traveled to prairies in several other states this year, all of my favorite images ended up being from Nebraska.  (No offense to the beautiful grasslands in those other states – it’s just the way it worked out this year.)

The slideshow will run on its own, but you can speed it up by clicking on the arrows to move through the images.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Thanks, as always, for your interest in prairies and this blog.  Knowing there are others who enjoy the beauty and complexity of prairie landscapes is very satisfying.  Have a great holiday season!

If you want to see similar collections of images from previous years, here are links to 2013 and 2012.

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Favorite Photos From 2014

1. Jim in IA says:

Great photos, Chris. Thank you.

2. Nancy Braschler says:

Wow! Your photos are amazing; spiritual really, & truly show the beauty and the life of the prairies.

3. Tom P. says:

The Sandhill Crane picture makes the landing birds look like they are walking on air.

4. So beautiful. Your works inspires me to get out and capture nature! Thank you for your photos and blog posts, they really brighten my days :)

5. elfinelvin says:

Love seeing those photos. Happy Holidays!

6. wwiest says:

Such inspirational images. Thank you for a wonderful year of informative and fascinating blog posts!

7. Mark Godfrey says:

Your obvious love for the prairie is in all of your photographs, thank you for sharing!

8. Oh! My! Gosh! Your pictures are Amazing! Thank you so much for bringing them to us!

9. Sarah E. says:

Wow, amazing! Are these all your own images?

10. Pat Halderman says:

Wow! Amazingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.

11. Lisa says:

The slide show is a nice year-end reminder of all your stories, musings, and thoughtful posts besides all the wonderful photos. That plains garter snake and the sandhill crane feathers are favorites.

12. Karen Hamburger says:

Chris

How do you keep track of your photos? Do you have an easy filing system?

Karen

Hi Karen,

Basically, I have a series of folders (flowers, insects, mammals, birds, people, etc.) that I save low-res versions of images to. That helps me find photos when I’m looking for something to post online or use for a presentation. I also have a naming system for the photos that includes the date the photo was taken so I can search that way too. Finally, I add “metadata” to each image I keep so that later on I can use a program called Extensis Portfolio to search for images by keyword, description, location, and other data. I don’t know if it’s the best system, but it seems to work for me. I also have multiple hard drives in multiple locations so I don’t lose everything if hard drive blows apart or is damaged in a fire or other disaster.

13. karen pruiett says:

Absolutely wonderful!

14. Girl Gone Expat says:

Beautiful images! Shows the prairie can truly be gorgeous:)

15. Matt BS says:

Sandhill cranes in flight was my favorite. I didn’t want to like the false dandelion photo, but it’s the runner-up.

16. Eric Hoff says:

Chris,
    Great photos. I might have to print and frame one for the office. Keep up the good work (on the blog and on the ground).
    How does metadata work when filing photos? I do a round of photo monitoring a few times /year and have a very simple filing system. Could you explain yours here or via email a little more? Thanks.

17. Pingback: Favorite Photos of 2015 | The Prairie Ecologist