Favorite Photos From 2014

As we near the end of another year, I’ve put together a collection of my favorite images from 2014.  I hope you enjoy them.  Though I traveled to prairies in several other states this year, all of my favorite images ended up being from Nebraska.  (No offense to the beautiful grasslands in those other states – it’s just the way it worked out this year.)

The slideshow will run on its own, but you can speed it up by clicking on the arrows to move through the images.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Thanks, as always, for your interest in prairies and this blog.  Knowing there are others who enjoy the beauty and complexity of prairie landscapes is very satisfying.  Have a great holiday season!

If you want to see similar collections of images from previous years, here are links to 2013 and 2012.

22 thoughts on “Favorite Photos From 2014

1. Jim in IA December 17, 2014 / 7:22 pm

Great photos, Chris. Thank you.

2. Nancy Braschler December 17, 2014 / 7:31 pm

Wow! Your photos are amazing; spiritual really, & truly show the beauty and the life of the prairies.

3. Tom P. December 17, 2014 / 7:54 pm

The Sandhill Crane picture makes the landing birds look like they are walking on air.

4. Life:Love:Nature December 17, 2014 / 7:54 pm

So beautiful. Your works inspires me to get out and capture nature! Thank you for your photos and blog posts, they really brighten my days :)

5. elfinelvin December 17, 2014 / 7:59 pm

Love seeing those photos. Happy Holidays!

6. wwiest December 17, 2014 / 8:19 pm

Such inspirational images. Thank you for a wonderful year of informative and fascinating blog posts!

7. Mark Godfrey December 17, 2014 / 8:56 pm

Your obvious love for the prairie is in all of your photographs, thank you for sharing!

8. patti holmlund December 17, 2014 / 9:19 pm

Oh! My! Gosh! Your pictures are Amazing! Thank you so much for bringing them to us!

9. Sarah E. December 17, 2014 / 10:54 pm

Wow, amazing! Are these all your own images?

• Chris Helzer December 18, 2014 / 7:07 am

Thank you Sarah, and yes. Now I need to start shooting some more for next year!

10. Pat Halderman December 18, 2014 / 8:37 am

Wow! Amazingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.

11. Lisa December 18, 2014 / 9:16 am

The slide show is a nice year-end reminder of all your stories, musings, and thoughtful posts besides all the wonderful photos. That plains garter snake and the sandhill crane feathers are favorites.

12. Karen Hamburger December 18, 2014 / 12:21 pm

Chris

How do you keep track of your photos? Do you have an easy filing system?

Karen

• Chris Helzer December 18, 2014 / 12:38 pm

Hi Karen,

Basically, I have a series of folders (flowers, insects, mammals, birds, people, etc.) that I save low-res versions of images to. That helps me find photos when I’m looking for something to post online or use for a presentation. I also have a naming system for the photos that includes the date the photo was taken so I can search that way too. Finally, I add “metadata” to each image I keep so that later on I can use a program called Extensis Portfolio to search for images by keyword, description, location, and other data. I don’t know if it’s the best system, but it seems to work for me. I also have multiple hard drives in multiple locations so I don’t lose everything if hard drive blows apart or is damaged in a fire or other disaster.

• Karen Hamburger December 18, 2014 / 1:25 pm

Thanks Chris that helps a lot. Didn’t think of using a metadata system.

13. karen pruiett December 18, 2014 / 2:58 pm

Absolutely wonderful!

14. Girl Gone Expat December 19, 2014 / 11:24 am

Beautiful images! Shows the prairie can truly be gorgeous:)

15. Matt BS December 19, 2014 / 12:19 pm

Sandhill cranes in flight was my favorite. I didn’t want to like the false dandelion photo, but it’s the runner-up.

16. Eric Hoff December 30, 2014 / 9:12 am

Chris,
    Great photos. I might have to print and frame one for the office. Keep up the good work (on the blog and on the ground).
    How does metadata work when filing photos? I do a round of photo monitoring a few times /year and have a very simple filing system. Could you explain yours here or via email a little more? Thanks.

17. mamings December 25, 2015 / 11:50 am