While I was doing some vegetation monitoring in a native hay meadow this morning, I found a bobolink nest.

Bobolink nest hiding in the grass - Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.

Bobolink nest hiding in the grass – Platte River Prairies, Nebraska.  Four bobolink eggs and one cowbird egg.

If you’re not familiar with grassland nesting birds, the idea of building a nest right on the ground might seem pretty silly and dangerous.  However, while a predator doesn’t have to fly or climb into a tree to get to the eggs, it still has to find them, and that can be pretty difficult when the nest is out in the middle of a large grassland.  To illustrate how well hidden the above nest was, here is a series of photos taken at various heights above it.

I took these photos with my phone.  This first one was taken about 2 feet  above the vegetation, which was itself about a foot and a half tall.  Can you see the nest?  (No you can't)

I took these photos with my phone. This first one was taken about 2 feet above the vegetation, which was itself about a foot and a half tall. Can you see the nest? (No you can’t.)

This photo was taken right at the height of the vegetation.  If you look closely, you can see the eggs below.

This photo was taken right at the height of the vegetation. If you look closely, you can see the eggs below.

A little closer.

A little closer.

ENPO150612_D003

This image makes the nest look very exposed, but only because I was holding the vegetation away from it to get a good photo.

The only reason I found the nest is that I crouched down in the vegetation a few feet from the nest to examine the plants in my plot frame.  About a minute later, the female bobolink fluttered out of the nest.  She must have waited anxiously as long as she could stand it, but my continued presence that close to the nest finally flushed her – allowing her to fly to safety but exposing the location of her nest.  Fortunately for her and her unborn chicks I took only photographs.  I wish her the best with her family, including one (so far) cowbird.

(For those of you who might not know the story of brown-headed cowbirds, they are brood parasites who drop their eggs in the nests of other bird species.  Those host birds then raise the cowbird young – often at the expense of their own.  This is a host-parasite relationship that has been going on for thousands of years in North American prairies.)

Advertisements

Chris Helzer is the Director of Science for The Nature Conservancy in Nebraska. His main role is to evaluate and capture lessons from the Conservancy’s land management and restoration work and then share those lessons with other landowners – both private and public. In addition, Chris works to raise awareness about the importance of prairies and their conservation through his writing, photography, and presentations to various groups. Chris is also the author of "The Ecology and Management of Prairies in the Central United States", published by the University of Iowa Press. He lives in Aurora, Nebraska with his wife Kim and their children.

22 Responses to Photo of the Week – June 12, 2015

1. Adam Thada says:

Well, it sounds like you didn’t dispatch the cow-bird egg. Not pulling weeds, not eliminating parasites… how will this system keep running without our intervention? ;) Makes me wonder about the fate of the Kirtland’s Warbler in Michigan once it gets federally delisted. Fun (and important) questions to ponder. May all our tinkering be intelligent!

2. Aggie says:

I live in the Post Oak Savannah of north Texas, trying to restore natives to a Bahia pasture.. Glad I found you… So neat how well the nest is hidden by grass which is only 1 1/2′ tall.

3. Brad Guhr says:

Great post, Chris.

4. Gay Gilbert says:

How lucky you are to have nesting Bobolinks! Please take care of them. If you leave the cowbird egg in her nest, the bobolink will feed it, and since it will hatch first and eat more than the bobolink hatchlings, they may in fact starve, at least some of them, as well as exhaust the poor parent bobolinks……help her out toss the cowbird egg! The bobolinks are endangered, the cowbirds are opportunists that are not at all threatened as a species.

5. So you wouldn’t recommend removing the cowbird egg from the nest.

6. chris muldoon says:

Every scientist’s dilemma….

7. wintersl8944 says:

Chris – thanks for suggesting in your post there’s no need to do anything about the cowbird egg in the bobolink nest. I’d like to offer some more info for the benefit of your blog readers. First, brown-headed cowbirds are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and destroying or removing the cowbird egg would be a violation of that act:

Second, bobolinks are not a federally-listed threatened or endangered species, nor are they considered a threatened or endangered species in Nebraska. They are a species of conservation concern in Nebraska and many other states and Canadian Provinces and some of those states and provinces do indeed classify them as threatened. The Partners in Flight Bird Conservation Plan for the Dissected Till Plains (which encompasses eastern Nebraska) considers bobolink a priority species.

While nest parasitism by brown-headed cowbirds is an important factor affecting populations of some threatened and endangered species such as Kirtland’s warblers and black-capped vireos, it should not be considered a threat to or a significant regulator of host bird populations in all areas where cowbird nest parasitism occurs. Brown-headed cowbirds are known to parasitize nests of over 200 bird species and like you said in your post, they and their hosts have been playing this game for thousands of years in the prairies of the U.S.

I’m not aware of any state or regional planning efforts that advocate control of brown-headed cowbird populations (or destruction of brown-headed cowbird eggs in host nests) as a means of increasing bobolink populations. The plans I’m familiar with instead advocate for habitat management and restoration as the primary actions that should be taken in the U.S. to maintain or enhance bobolink populations.

So – keep up the good work Chris in maintaining and restoring bobolink (and brown-headed cowbird) habitat in the Central Platte Valley.

8. Karen H says:

I have all ways wondered how the chicks know they are cow birds when they are raised by other parents!

9. marilyn faulk lanser says:

Walk softly and carry a high powered lens! I’m grateful that mama bobolink made her presence known and that you shared your experience and information, visually and texturally. Thanks!

10. Karen,
    If the parent cowbird never returns, then it must be genetic. There isn’t any nurture involved. But that’s a good question for Cornell or Stanford. I’d take it up with them.

• Karen H says:

Rita
      I have asked Cornell about this and it seems to be a question that is unworthy of serious study. Scientists are uncomfortable with any questions that suggests intelligence and consciousness in animals, insects and plants. Therefor most dismiss these inquires with out real investigation. Genetics is much too convenient of a conclusion and I refuse to accept it with out evidence.

Humans are very quick to dismiss the creatures that share our planet as “things” driven by genetics and instinct. And this hubris is a source of the complete disconnect we have with nature and is destroying the only home we have.

It is a discussion worth having so I throw it out there when ever I can. That is the reason for my challenge.

Respectfully yours

Karen

11. anastaciast says:

Thanks for sharing these photos, Chris! I have only seen Bobolinks two or three times and hadn’t pursued any sort of study of them; so didn’t know they were ground-nesters. Love the eggs. ! Gotta share this with the boys.

12. Pingback: The upside down jewel of the prairie - NEBRASKALand Magazine