Search this Blog
- Photo of the Week – March 24, 2017
- Hubbard Alumni Post – Chicken Wire?!
- Photo of the Week – March 17, 2016
- Should We Manage for Rare Species or Species Diversity?
- Photo of the Week – March 9, 2017
- Spines, Thorns, and the Plant Game
- Photo of the Week – March 2, 2017
- Hubbard Fellowship Blog – No “Earth” without “Art”
- Save the Date – Grassland Restoration Network July 11-12, 2017
- Photo of the Week – February 23, 2017
- Pill Bug Mystery
- Introducing “The Plant Game”
- Photo of the Week – February 16, 2017
- The Life of a Single Mom (Bee)
- Photo of the Week – February 9, 2017
- Compatibility of Cows, Conservation and Climate Change?
- Hubbard Alumni Blog: Platte Meditations
- Photo of the Week – February 3, 2017
- Survey Data is IN – THANK YOU!
- Photo of the Week – January 26, 2017
Tag Archives: niobrara valley preserve
Kim and I have made it an annual tradition to spend part of our holiday break at the Niobrara Valley Preserve. Our kids were with other relatives for part of this year’s break, so we had a few days to … Continue reading
One of the great things about working for The Nature Conservancy is that I get to do a lot of bison watching. Just in the last couple weeks I’ve had several opportunities to get close to bison at our Niobrara … Continue reading
I’ve written many times about the 2012 wildfire that impacted our Niobrara Valley Preserve, and the continuing recovery of the plant and animal communities there. When I was up at the Preserve a few weeks ago, it was really interesting … Continue reading
We just returned home from our family trip to The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve. I posted some photos from the first half of the trip earlier this week. Here are a few more, but they don’t begin to cover … Continue reading
It’s family vacation time for The Prairie Ecologist. The objective for this week is to see how much fun two adults and three kids can squeeze out of The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve. Ok, I’m actually doing a little … Continue reading
Being a nature photographer sometimes means I can plan trips to interesting places and spend extended periods of time focusing on nothing but photography. More often, however, my photography comes in short opportunistic bursts in the middle of other activities. … Continue reading
Look, more timelapse photography… I’m nearing the end of the process of going through all the images from the last three years of timelapse work at the Niobrara Valley Preserve. My eyes are very tired, but it’s been a lot … Continue reading
Many of you remember previous posts about the wildfire that swept across the Niobrara Valley back in July 2012. About half of The Nature Conservancy’s Niobrara Valley Preserve burned during that event. Through some funding from the Nebraska Environmental Trust … Continue reading
While my wife Kim and I were at the Niobrara Valley Preserve for several days in December, we spotted a small creature neither of us had seen before. We were walking along the edge of the river (hoping to see … Continue reading